The NYPA award-winning Morning BUZZ: In 3 minutes – top 20 news items in 20 words or less at 8 a.m. daily.
Friday, August 8
• Sunny with a high of 86 all weekend.
• President Barack Obama allows limited airstrikes against ISIS, but for now, American planes are dropping aid, not bombs.
• Israel has resumed strikes against Hamas after rockets were launched from the region.
• A new report shows that most baby boomers want to leave New York when they retire.
Astoria Park Shore Fest 2014 – Sun. Aug. 10th 1-6PM Taste of Astoria! Exercise your taste buds during this showcase of Astoria’s culinary delights! FREE! Shore Blvd btwn Astoria Park So & Ditmars Blvd. Astoriaparkalliance.blogspot.com
If you are interested in advertising on the Newsticker just click here
• Cops threatened to evict 16-year-old Marcell Dockery’s mother if he didn’t confess to lighting Coney Island fire, his lawyer says.
• Two officials from the Little Neck-based Crown Academy have been charged withassaulting children.
• A man mistook his SUV’s gas pedal for his brakes and drove 25 feet into a closed beauty salon in Jamaica. The driver received minor injuries; no one else was injured.
• George Clooney and his fiancé declared their intentions in London.
• Kimye are trying to have another baby.
• Donna Leiberman says Police Commissioner Bill Bratton is hiding broken windows data in her NYDN opinion piece.
• Lady Gaga hospitalized for altitude sickness in Denver.
• After a 5-3 loss to the Nationals, the Mets will face the Phillies at 7:05 p.m. in Philadelphia.
• The Yankees defeated the Tigers 1-0 yesterday, and will battle the Indians at 7:05 p.m. in the Bronx today.
• Jets beat Colts in their first preseason opener 13-10 last night.
• Giants will face the Steelers at 7:30 p.m. tomorrow in their second preseason game.
Get the Best Prices for Sports, Concert and Event tickets atNYDISCOUNTTICKETS.COM.
Smokey Bear’s 70th Birthday Bash! Sat. Aug 9th 12-3PM A celebration of the Great Outdoors with live animals, guided hikes, Forest Ranger obstacle course and scavenger hunt with prizes! Alley Pond Park, 76th Avenue & Springfield Blvd, Douglaston
• Latest news – Business Insider has compiled a map of the most common non-English and non-Spanish languages spoken by neighborhood in NYC.
• For sale – Upper Glendale – Detached one-family near PS 113, three-bedrooms plus walk-up attic, two-car garage, 1/2 bath on first floor. Asking $598,000.
• For sale – Middle Village – Rare detached three-family on 50×100 lot, private driveway with four garages, great 1031 exchange, vacant at closing. Asking, $798,000.
• Sold - Queens Village – A three-bedroom, two-bathroom, 1,560 sq. ft. detached home at9252 219th St. for $480,000.
Arts and culture/Restaurant reviews
• More landlords are embracing street art around the city.
• Art Everywhere US has launched in Times Square.
Grade: A – Flushing – Apollo Bakery
Grade: B – North Corona – Lucky Star Restaurant: Hot food item not held at or above 140F; Cold food item held above 41F; Wiping cloths soiled or not stored in sanitizing solution; Non-food contact surface improperly constructed.
Grade: C – Jackson Heights – Pollos a la Brasa Mario: Hot food items not held at or above 140F; Cold food item held above 41F; Filth flies and/or food/refuse/sewage-related (FRSA) flies present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas; Facility not vermin proof.
• Richmond Hill – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. – Job Fair. Smokey Oval Park, 125th Street and 95th Avenue.
• Corona – 6 to 8 p.m. – Seeds of Talent 2014 Audition. Dominico American Society of Queens, 40-27 97th St.
• Whitestone – 7 to 10 p.m. – Art Show. Grace Episcopal Church, 14-15 Clintonville St.
• Sunnyside – 7 to 9:30 p.m. – Free Shakespeare in Sunnyside Gardens Park – Two Gentlemen of Verona. Sunnyside Gardens Park, 48-29 39th Ave.
• Astoria – 7 p.m. – Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors. Museum of the Moving Image, 36-01 35th Ave.
• Jamaica – 8 p.m. – Classic Monster Film Fridays presents a screening of Alien. Rufus King Park, Jamaica Avenue at 153rd Street.
• Rockaway Beach – 8 p.m. – Beach Flix presents The Princess Bride. Beachfront at 129th Street.
• Sunset Park – 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Local Food and Recycling at Sunset Park Greenmarket. Fourth Avenue between 59th and 60th streets.
• Little Neck – 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Camp Poyntelle Lewis Village Sleep-Away Camp Rookie Overnight Experience. Samuel Field Y, 58-20 Little Neck Pkwy.
• Flushing – 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. – Good Health Day. Charles B. Wang Community Health Center, 136-26 37th Ave.
• Flushing – 10:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival. Flushing Meadows Corona Park
• Douglaston – Noon to 3 p.m. – Smokey Bear’s Birthday Bash! Alley Pond Park, 76th Avenue entrance between Springfield Blvd.
• Jamaica – Noon to 3 p.m. – Hands-on History: Play Time! King Manor, 150-3 Jamaica Ave.
• Corona – 12:30 to 6 p.m. – Certificacion en el Cuidado de Niños. Latin Women in Action, Inc., 103-06 39th Ave.
• Flushing – 1 to 4 p.m. – Boy Scouts of America Troop 17 100th Anniversary Celebration. Queens Botanical Garden, 43-50 Main St.
• Forest Hills – 2 to 4 p.m. – Lincoln Center Local Presents O Sole Trio. Forest Hills Library, 108-19 71st Ave.
• Astoria – 2:30 p.m. – The 10th Annual Rural Route Film Festival presents Karpotrotter. Museum of the Moving Image, 36-01 35th Ave.
• Astoria – 4:30 p.m. – The 10th Annual Rural Route Film Festival presents The Wicker Man. Museum of the Moving Image, 36-01 35th Ave.
• Forest Hills – 6:30 p.m. – Modest Mouse and Brand New perform live. West Side Tennis Stadium, One Tennis Place.
• Astoria – 7:30 p.m. – The 10th Annual Rural Route Film Festival presents Sunset Edge. Museum of the Moving Image, 36-01 35th Ave.
• Little Neck – 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. – Blood Drive at Samuel Field Y. 58-20 Little Neck Pkwy.
• Flushing – 10:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. Hong Kong Dragon Boast Festival Flushing Meadows Corona Park
• Rego Park – 1:00 p.m. Candy Twisted Balloon Show Rego Center, 61-35 Junction Blvd.
• Maspeth – Noon to 4 p.m. – Knockdown Summer Jamboree. Knockdown Center, 52-19 Flushing Ave.
• Astoria – Noon to 6 p.m. – Steinway Astoria Partnership Street Fair. Between 28th Street and 34th Avenue.
• Rego Park - 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. – Sunday at the Movies presents The Flat. Rego Park Jewish Center, 97-30 Queens Blvd.
• Douglaston – 2:30 p.m. – Safe Walk. Alley Pond Park House, Winchester Boulevard and Union Turnpike.
• Flushing – 2:30 p.m. – A Taste of Poland with the Queens Historical Society. Kingsland Homestead, 143-45 37th Ave.
• Astoria – 2:30 p.m. – Celestial Wives of the Meadow Mari. Museum of the Moving Image, 36-01 35th Ave.
• LIC – 3 to 4 p.m. – The Noguchi Museum’s Bang on a Can Music Series with JACK Quartet. 9-01 33rd Rd.
• LIC – 5 p.m. – Hip-to-Hip Theater Company presents Two Gentlemen of Verona. Socrates Sculpture Park, 32-01 Vernon Blvd.
• Astoria – 5 p.m. – Film screening of Butter on the Latch. Museum of the Moving Image, 36-01 35th Ave.
• Flushing – 7 to 9 p.m. – Full Moon Drumming Workshop. Flushing Town Hall, 137-35 Northern Blvd.