The NYPA award-winning Morning BUZZ: In 3 minutes – top 20 news items in 20 words or less at 8 a.m. daily.
Friday, June 6
• Partly cloudy today with a high of 63. Going into the weekend, expect a Sunny Saturdaywith a high of 82 and a partly cloudy Sunday with a high of 84.
• President Obama celebrated D-Day with Veterans in Normandy.
• North Korea is holding an American citizen captive for unknown infractions.
• A Harlem gang bust is the largest in NYC history, with more than 100 suspected members being indicted.
Yard Sale Sat June 7th 9AM-4PM Great Deals! Rain or Shine! Knights of Columbus 69-60 Grand Ave, Maspeth.
If you are interested in advertising on the Newsticker just click here
• Jamiaca-based CPA Md Hyder Alam plead guilty to tax fraud and was fined $75,000.
• A worker at PS 313 fell to his death while working in an elevator shaft at the new school.
• Police have identified one suspect and are looking for another in two unrelated sexual assault cases involving middle-aged women.
• Tom Cruise joined Jimmy Fallon for a lively game of Face Breakers on Fallon’s show last night.
• Michael Jace allegedly confessed to killing his wife to his father-in-law before calling police.
• NY Times says that after the tragic stabbing death of a young girl in a NYCHA elevator,it’s time for renewal.
• NY Post says we need to support all schools where children are actually learning.
• Rangers prepare for game two of the Stanley Cup Finals tomorrow at 7 p.m. in Los Angeles.
• After a 4-0 loss to the Cubs yesterday the Mets travel to San Francisco to face the Giants at 10:15 p.m.
• Yankees ended a four-game losing streak with a 2-1 win against the A’s yesterday. The team travels to Missouri to face the Royals at 8:10 p.m.
Get the Best Prices for Sports, Concert and Event tickets atNYDISCOUNTTICKETS.COM.
Forest Hills Volunteer Ambulance Corp. Fund Raiser – Sat. June 7th 7PM “Laughter is the Best Medicine”. Live auction to follow. $20 tickets available atwww.comedytogoinc.com or call 718-793-2055. Grace Lutheran Church, 103-15 Union Tpk, Forest Hills.
• Latest news – Scaffolding is down, revealing the LIC “finger” building.
• For sale – College Point – Eight-bedroom, three full bath, 2,773-sqaure-foot newly renovated multi-family home. Asking $849,000.
Crifasi Real Estate
• For sale – Fresh Meadows – Three-bedroom, one full bath, semi-detached, single-family home. Asking $579,000.
Crifasi Real Estate
• Sold - Maspeth – A three-bedroom, three-bathroom, 1,280 sq. ft. home at 6103 60th Ave. for $539,000.
• Student Seasonal Landscape Maintenance Worker needed. Call Mount Olivet Cemetery, Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Contact David Gigler at 718-326-1777
Arts and culture/Restaurant reviews
• Two New York City high school students won prestigious national artist awards.
• Four must-see summer art exhibits in NYC.
Grade: A – Sunnyside – El Buen Sabor Bakery
Grade: B – College Point – Catherine Bakery
Grade: C – Forest Hills – MoCA Asian Bistro
• Astoria – 10 a.m. – Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney and USPS officials cut ribbon on new post office. 30-11 21st St.
• Whitestone – 11 a.m. – Ceremony marking the 70th Anniversary of D-Day. Whitestone Veterans Memorial Field, 149th St. & 15th Rd.
• Jamaica Hills - 1:45 p.m. – Elected officials applaud decision to convert dangerous street to a one-way. Jamaica Muslim Center, 85-37 168th St.
• Kew Gardens – 4 p.m. – State Senator Toby Stavisky and Assemblyman Ron Kim give update on 149th Street Bridge project following closed-door meeting with DOT. Queens Borough Hall, 120-55 Queens Blvd.
• Astoria – 5:30 p.m. – Screening of animated films made by students in after-school program. Museum of the Moving Image, 36-01 35th Ave.
• Astoria – 6:30 p.m. – Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation hosts 5th Annual Spring Showcase. Frank Sinatra School of the Arts, 35-12 35th Ave.
• St. Albans – 7:30 p.m. – Meeting of the Queens Chapter of the National Action Network. Greater Springfield Community Church, 177-06 129th Ave.
• Corona – 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. – Corona Plaza Cleanup Day with the QEDC. Roosevelt Avenue at 104th Street.
• Long Island City – 11 a.m. – Astoria Village Walking Tour. Socrates Sculpture Park, 32-01 Vernon Blvd.
• Long Island City – Noon to 4 p.m. – Urban Upbound celebrates Queensbridge community with day of live music and free food. 40th Ave. between 12th & 13th Streets
• Bayside – Noon – Paranormal investigation with the Seeker Club at the Lawrence Cemetery. Bayside Historical Society, 208 Totten Ave., Fort Totten.
• Flushing – 1 to 2 p.m. – Community Conversations for Kids presents a discussion on the environment.
• Douglaston – 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. – Fantastic Frogs and Polliwogs, a discovery session. Alley Pond Environmental Center. 228-06 Northern Blvd.
• Jamaica – 7 to 10 p.m. – Third Annual Jamaica Collections 2014 fashion event. Jamaica Performing Arts Center, 153-10 Jamaica Ave. $10
• Kew Gardens – 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. – Kew Gardens Kids Art in the Park day. Kew Gardens Cinemas Park, Austin Street off Lefferts Boulevard.
• Douglaston – 1:30 to 2:45 p.m. – Adventure Hour with Baby Animals. Alley Pond Environmental Center, 228-06 Northern Blvd.
• Flushing – 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. – Genealogy workshop with Wilhilmena Rhodes Kelley. Queens Historical Society Kingsland Homestead. 143-35 37th Ave.
• Long Island City – 2 to 3:30 p.m. – SideTour presents an art walk touring works responding to 5pointz graffiti whitewashing led by Meres One. $35, limited availability.
• Middle Village – 5 p.m. – Free Sunday Performance: Synthesis DANCE & Dancers Unlimited. Salvatore LaRussa Dance Theatre Academy, 66-85 73rd Pl.
• Forest Hills – 7:30 p.m. – Forest Hills Symphony Orchestra. Forest Hills Jewish Center, 106-06 Queens Blvd.