The NYPA award-winning Morning BUZZ: In 3 minutes – top 20 news items in 20 words or less at 8 a.m. daily.
Friday, June 20
• A mix of clouds and sun with a high of 81.
• Amidst insurgency, Iraqi Prime Minister faces ouster.
• Kevin McCarthy picked as replacement for Eric Cantor as House Majority Leader.
• As many as 75 scientists may have been exposed to Anthrax at a U.S. government laboratory in Atlanta.
Youth Group Car Wash Sat. Jun 21st 9AM-2PM Cars $5.00, Vans $7.00 Redeemer Lutheran Church, 69-26 Cooper Ave, Glendale
If you are interested in advertising on the Newsticker just click here
• Nearly 1,000 Queens Con Edison customers were without power after two fires in manholes and one on power lines.
• Council Member Ruben Wills says “my stuff is clean.”
• The premiere of ‘Better Call Saul’ has been pushed back to 2015, second season confirmed.
• Kanye West slammed President Obama, saying, “you can’t effect change from inside he White House,” before going on to say that he is on a mission from God.
• amNY says the planned subway alert system is long overdue.
• NY Post says Duke porn star Miriam Weeks is right on bout the plight of the modern college student.
• Met to face Marlins at 7:10 p.m. in Florida following a 1-0 win against the team yesterday.
• After beating the Blue Jays 6-4 last night, Yankees will battle the Orioles at 7:05 p.m. in a home game.
• Columbia beat Cote d’Ivoire 2-1, Uruguay upset England 2-1, and Japan and Greece went scoreless in World Cup football yesterday.
Get the Best Prices for Sports, Concert and Event tickets atNYDISCOUNTTICKETS.COM.
World Cup Under the Archway – Now thru Jul 13th 12-9PM Free Screenings! Manhattan Bridge Archway off of Anchorage Place, Brooklyn. For full schedule, click here:http://bit.ly/1vbzLW2
• Latest news – A one-story garage at 23-06 31st Ave. is set to be replaced with a six-story residential.
• For Sale - Maspeth Plateau - One bedroom condo, move-in condition, terrace garage, included storage, low common charges, $245 per month, includes heat, hot water and cooking gas. Asking $298,000.
• For Sale - Bayside - Bayside Terrace, two-bedroom co-op, lots of closet space and windows, formal dining room, parking included, large rooms, over 1,000 sq. ft., School District 26, pets OK. Asking $218,000
• Sold - Jamaica - A three-bedroom, two-bathroom, 1,156 sq. ft. single-family home atqeens.brownstoner.com
. for $291,000.
Arts and culture/Restaurant reviews
• Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett surprised the students of the Frank Sinatra School of the Arts on the last day of class.
• New Model to Monument project is bringing more art to NYC parks.
Grade: A - Long Island City - Water Front Crab House
Grade: B - Rockaway – Carvel Ice Cream: Food protection certificate not held by supervisor; Personal cleanliness inadequate; Food contact surface not properly washed, rinsed and sanitized after each use.
Grade: C - Jamaica - Vincent & Andre’s Pizzeria: Cold food item not held above 41F; Appropriately scaled metal stem-type thermometer or thermocouple not provided; Insufficient or no refrigerated or hot holding equipment to keep potentially hazardous foods room temperature; non-food contact surface improperly constructed.
• Flushing – 9:30 a.m. – State Senate candidate John Liu attends graduation ceremonies. PS 107, 167-02 45th Ave.
• Fresh Meadows – 10:15 a.m. –Liu attends graduation ceremonies. PS 177, 56-37 188thSt.
• Jamaica – 10:40 a.m. –Liu presents awards at PS 131 graduation ceremonies. Jamaica High School, 167-01 Gothic Dr.
• Rockaway Beach - Noon - VNSNY Early Steps Family Center reopens doors following Sandy damage. 216 Beach 87th St.
• Bayside – 2 p.m. – State Senator Tony Avella to announce new bill to eliminate seafood mislabeling. Avella’s District Office, 38-50 Bell Blvd.
• Bayside - 3:30 p.m. - Councilman Paul Vallone hosts street renaming ceremony for Geraldine Cilmi. 214th Ln. between 34th & 35th Avenues
• Long Island City - 5 p.m. - Urban Upbound holds its annual Youth Recognition Ceremony honoring 20 high school grads. Queensbridge Park, 41st Ave. & Vernon Blvd.
• Flushing – 6:30 p.m. – Unveiling of Flushing Y teen magazine. Flushing Y, 138-48 Northern Blvd.
• Long Island City - 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. - NYC BigApps BigBuild Day. Coalition for Queens HQ, 31-00 47th Ave., Ste. 1105
• Ridgewood - 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. - Make Music New York. 15 Locations on Myrtle Ave.
• Forest Park - 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. - Free Safety and Health Event. Forest Park Bandshell Parking Lot, Off Woodhaven Blvd. & Forest Park Dr.
• Flushing – 12:30 p.m. – Councilman Peter Koo dedicated Daniel Carter Beard memorial Square. Farrington St. & Northern Blvd.
• St. Albans – 2 p.m. – Councilman I. Daneek Miller host street renaming honoring Dora H. Young. 197th St. & Linden Blvd.
• Flushing Meadows Corona Park – 8 a.m. - Queens 10K race.
• Flushing - Noon - Festival de Flores Summer Solstice Celebration. Queens Botanical Garden, 43-50 Main St.
• Bayside - 6 p.m. - Bayside Historical Society annual lawn concert. Crocheron Park.