The NYPA award-winning Morning BUZZ: In 3 minutes – top 20 news items in 20 words or less at 8 a.m. daily.
Friday, June 13
• A high of 79 with a 70 percent chance of thunderstorms.
• Thousands of Iraqi citizens are flocking to Baghdad to defend the city against ISIS militants, according to Iraqi officials.
• Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl arrived safely in Texas, where he will continue to be treated at an Army Medical Center.
• Neighbors of abandoned, Sandy-damaged homes are saying the mold in those housesis making them sick.
Family Fun Day Sat June 14th 11AM-2PM First 100 children to meet Pocoyo will receive a storybook and crayons! Face Painting, Game & Giveaways. FREE! Rego Center 61-35 Junction Blvd & Queens Blvd, Rego Park
If you are interested in advertising on the Newsticker just click here
•Queens Library head Thomas Galante wants board members to have to submit requests for access to business records.
• PS 91 in Glendale was evacuated after a novelty grenade was found on the premises.
• Woodside is living out a Hitchcock nightmare, with birds attacking people and trying to nest in their hair.
• Lil’ Wayne and Drake will be performing at the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium on Aug. 19 as part of their co-headlining tour.
• Kim Kardashian shares photos from her Mexico Honeymoon with Kanye.
• amNY says Mayor de Blasio should support the Taxi of Tomorrow, and that his reluctance is tied to campaign contributions.
• NY Times supports tenure law changes in California, hailing the decision as a new battle for equal education.
• Rangers go into game five with the championship on the line at 8 p.m. in Los Angeles.
• Mets to face the Padres at home after a 5-1 loss against the Brewers yesterday. Recap.
• After drowning the Mariners 6-3, the Yankees head to Oakland to face the A’s at 10:05 p.m. Recap.
• Spurs dug into the Heat with a 107-86 game three win in the NBA Finals. Recap.
Get the Best Prices for Sports, Concert and Event tickets atNYDISCOUNTTICKETS.COM.
Pups & Pints – Sun. June 15th 1-5PM Fundraiser & Adoption event. Profesional pet photographers will be on site to take photos of YOU AND YOUR PET. All dogs are welcome! Singlecut Brewery, 19-33 37th Street, Astoria (718) 606-0788
• Latest news – Google’s street art program is preserving the work of 5Pointz.
• For sale - Upper Glendale - Detached one-family, three bedrooms, EIK, garage and yard. Gas heat. Asking $438,000.
• For sale - Rego Park - Semi-detached one-family, three bedrooms, 1/2 bath on first floor, finished basement with garage, full yard, gas heat. Asking $458,000.
• Sold - South Ozone Park - A five-bedroom, 2.5-bathroom, detached two-family colonial at 12711 150th Ave. for $550,000.
Arts and culture/Restaurant reviews
• The Met is celebrating the spirit of creative kids in city schools.
• A Cambria Heights teen had his art contest win taken out from under him by Representative Gregory Meeks.
Grade: A - Glendale - Pisa Pizzeria
Grade: B - Flushing - Catherine Bakery: Hot food item not kept above 140F; Cold food item not held below 41F; Non-food contact surface improperly constructed; Single service item reused.
Grade: C - Forest Hills - MoCA Asian Bistro: Cold food item not kept below 41F; Employee did not use proper utensil to eliminate bare hand contact with food that will not receive proper heat treatment; No facilities to wash, rinse and sanitize utensils and/or equipment; Food not protected from potential contamination in storage; Food contact surface not properly maintained.
• Flushing - 9 a.m. - Assemblywoman Nily Rozic winners in C-SPAN StudentCam Competition. Townsend Harris HS, 149-11 Melbourne Ave.
• Flushing – 11:30 a.m. – Elected officials announce assistance of public health insurance enrollment. Charles B. Wang Community Health Center, 136-26 37th Ave.
• Bayside – 12:30 p.m. Former comptroller and State Senate candidate John Liu visits with seniors. Bayside Senior Citizens Center, 221-15 Horace Harding Expressway
• Flushing – 12:30 p.m. – Parents Day Celebration. Taiwan Center, 137-44 Northern Blvd.
• Neponsit - 1 p.m. - Assemblyman Phil Goldfeder announces plan to combat vacant and abandoned properties. 145-08 Neponsit Ave.
• Flushing - 4 p.m. - Press conference on legislation to change admissions practices of specialized high schools held by Assemblyman Ron Kim. 136-20 38th Ave., Suite 10A.
• Flushing – 7 p.m. – John Liu receives award from the New York United Women Association. Mudan Celebration Center, Queens Crossing, 136-17 39th Ave.
• Flushing - 8 to 10 p.m. - Queens and Brooklyn Jazz Party. Flushing Town Hall, 137-35 Northern Blvd.
• Jamaica - 8 p.m. - Celebration of the 50th anniversary of the world-renowned hit song and dance “The Twist.” Resorts World Casino, 110-00 Rockaway Blvd.
• Kew Gardens - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. - Kew Gardens Summer Flea Market. LIRR North Parking Lot, 82-60 Austin St.
• Forest Hills - 9:30 a.m. - 7th Annual Father’s Day Celebration. Forestdale, 67-35 112th St.
• Ridgewood - 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. - Gotham Thrift Shop Grand Opening Celebration. 60-21 Myrtle Ave.
• Bayside - 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. - Vienna Music Open House. 41-08 Bell Blvd., second floor.
• Sunnyside - 11 a.m. - Flag Day Parade. Greenpoint Ave. from 41st to 48th Streets.
• Woodhaven - Noon to 4 p.m. - Woodhaven Residents’ Block Association hosts BBQ for veterans. American Legion Post 118, 89-02 91st St.
• Astoria - 3 to 6 p.m. - Free, public Nielsen 2014 viewing of the Costa Rica v. Uruguay FIFA World Cup game. Melrose Ballroom, 36-08 33rd St.
• Little Neck - 4:30 to 6 p.m. - Children Dancing 26th annual year-end performance. Community Church of Little Neck, 46-16 Little Neck Pkwy.
• Jamaica - 6 to 10 p.m. - Grand Opening of new pan-Caribbean restaurant. Garden Inns & Suites, 151-20 Baisley Blvd.
• Rockaway Beach - 7 p.m. - Local Summer Kickoff Party. 302 Beach 87th St.
• Corona - Noon - Science and the Fair. New York Hall of Science, 47-01 111th St.
• Sunnyside - Noon to 5 p.m. - Art Fair. Queen of Angels, 44th St. & Skillman Ave.
• Flushing - 2:30 to 4 p.m. - Music in the Garden: Quintet of the Americas. Queens Botanical Garden, 43-50 Main St.
• Jamaica - 4 & 6:30 p.m. - Father’s Day Comedy Shows. Free admission include dinner. Black Spectrum Theatre, 177th St. & Baisley Blvd.
• Middle Village - 5 p.m. - Free outdoor dance performance. Salvatore LaRussa Dance Theatre, 66-85 73rd Pl.