MORNING BUZZ (4/3): UPS fires 250 in Maspeth, Apartment verges on collapse in Fresh Meadows & Thursday events.
Thursday, April 3
• Partly cloudy with a high of 57.
• A gunman at Ft. Hood killed three and injured 16 before ending his own life.
• US Supreme Court strikes down Political Donation limits.
• According to experts, strict compliance to building codes saved many lives during the magnitude 8.2 earthquake off the coast of Chile.
Isabella’s Spring is Here and We’re Open! Frozen Yogurt, Smoothies, Floats, Ice Cream Cakes, Egg Creams, Super Pretzels, Ices & More! 55-03 69th Street, Maspeth 718-205-4237
• A UPS facility in Maspeth fired 250 workers after they protested the dismissal of a colleague who was hit by a car on the job.
• Police are searching for a team of law enforcement-impersonating robbers who are terrorizing Queens salons.
• House of Cards scores a Peabody Award for Netflix.
• NY Times analyzes Supreme Court decision to eliminate campaign finance caps.
• Mets face the Washington Cardinals today at 1:10 p.m. following two losses in their first series of the season.
• Yankees face the Houston Astros today at 8:10 p.m. following two losses in their first series of the season.
• Knicks will face the Washington Wizards tomorrow after a 110-81 win against the Nets.
• Nets face the Detroit Pistons tomorrow after suffering a loss at the hands of the Knicks.
• Rangers face the Colorado Avalanche tonight at 9 p.m. after defeating the Vancouver Canucks 3-1.
• Islanders will face the Washington Capitals on Saturday following a 2-1 win against the Ottawa Senators.
London Lennies – Crawfish Lovers….Come and Get It! Crawfest 2014 coming April 28th!! London Lennie’s 63-38 Woodhaven Blvd, Rego Park 718-891-8084www.londonlennies.com
• Latest news – Ariel Property Investors arranges for a $10 million development sale in Long Island City.
• For sale – Middle Village North – Two-family brick, 22 ft. wide. Six-room duplex for owner, with separate three-room walk-in. Private driveway, yard. Short walk from train. Move-in condition. $688,000.
• For sale – Jamaica – Detached one-family on a 40×100 lot. Three bedrooms, private driveway, finished basement with bath. Short walk to trains, schools and shopping. $349,000.
• Sold - Jamaica – A three bedroom, two bathroom, 1,280 sq. ft. home at 20020 115th Ave. sold for $335,000.
• While it is generally accepted that kids today are spoiled, this may not be the case, says author Alfie Kohn.
• Kew Gardens – 10 a.m. – Elected officials announce a Queens Library reform bill. Queens Borough Hall.
• Long Island City – Noon – New York City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito encourage New Yorkers to take advantage of the city’s free Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites. 12-15 40th Avenue.
• Bayside – 2 p.m. – Elected officials announce state funding for NE Queens bus study. State Senator Avella’s District Office, 38-50 Bell Blvd.
• Forest Hills – 6 p.m. – Learn beginners Chinese with Lin San . North Forest Park Library. 98-27 Metropolitan Ave.
• Rockaway – 6 p.m. – Event to thank mayor for extending ferry service. Beach 108h St. & Beach Channel Dr.
• East Elmhurst – 6:30 p.m. – New Visions Democratic Club Dinner Dance. Bruno’s on the Boulevard, 88-25 Astoria Blvd.
• Astoria – 6:30 p.m. – Assemblywoman Aravella Simotas and United Community Civic Association host annual Astoria town hall. Museum of the Moving Image, 36-01 35th Ave.
• Woodside – 7 p.m. – Community Board 2 monthly meeting. 43-22 50th St.
• Jamaica - 7:30 pm – District 28 Community Education Council monthly meeting, 90-27 Sutphin Blvd.
• South Ozone Park – 7:45 p.m. – Community Board 10 monthly meeting. 115-01 Lefferts Blvd.