Your 3 minute, NYPA award-winning daily read on the M, 7 or J train at 8 a.m. 20 news items people will be talking about all day.
Thursday, April 24
• Sunny with a high of 66.
• In the new budget proposed by City Council yesterday, emphasis is on adding 1,000 more police officers, funding free lunches in public schools, and expanding the youth employment program.
• In Texas, a family has been awarded $3 million for fracking-related illness.
• Port Authority has again delayed its decision on an 80-story tower at Ground Zero.
Signarama Forest Hills – Your full Service Sign Center! Exterior & Interior signage; Window/Door lettering, Banners, Vehicle Graphics & more! 116-59 Queens Blvd, Forest Hills, 718-268-8180 www.signarama-foresthills.com
• Police are seeking suspects in a home invasion that left two elderly residents hurt.
• A Long Island City business owner is claiming that the MTA causes his business $60,000 worth of damage during a recent project.
• Four motorists and a driver were injured in two separate accidents in Astoria and Forest Hills.
• Jodie Foster has married her girlfriend, Alexandra Hedison.
• Meg Ryan has been picked as the narrator for the upcoming How I Met Your Mother spinoff.
• NY Times contemplates the South Korean ferry disaster.
• NY Post celebrates a debate long-overdue as the gubernatorial race warms up.
• Mets finish out their series against the Cardinals at 1:10 p.m. in a home game that follows their 3-2 win yesterday.
• Yankees complete their series against the Red Sox tonight at 7:10 p.m. in Boston after suffering a 3-2 loss yesterday.
• In a tied series, Nets will face the Raptors in game three tomorrow at 7 p.m. in Brooklyn.
• Rangers prepare to face the Flyers in game four of the Stanley Cup Playoffs tomorrow at 7 p.m. in Pennsylvania. Currently, the Rangers lead the series by one game.
Queens Taste 2014 Apr 29th 6-9PM The Queens Economic Development Corporationand lead sponsor Fairway Market invite you to Queens Taste 2014, the borough’s premiere networking and culinary event. For more information or to purchase tickets contact Rob MacKay at firstname.lastname@example.org. Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel 135-20 39th Avenue, Flushing. www.itsinqueens.com/queenstaste
• Latest news – Five-building residential complex Astoria Cove given the go-ahead to begin the review process for zoning changes.
• For sale – Woodhaven – One-family, three bedrooms, move-in condition, driveway, yard, finished basement with bath, short walk to trains, schools and stores. Asking $383,000.
• For sale – Kew Gardens – Large, one-bedroom co-op, modern kitchen and bath, oak floors, lots of closet space, short walk to subway & LIRR. Asking $164,000.
• Sold - Far Rockaway – A three-bedroom, 1.5-bathroom, 1,250 sq. ft. home at 432 Beach 131st St. sold for $631,000.
• There is a small, but growing, movement in favor of supportive housing as an alternative to foster care.
• Alicia Silverstone offers up some controversial views on parenting in her new book.
• Jamaica – 11 a.m. – Congresswoman Grace Meng to lead vigil on one-year anniversary of Bangladesh factory collapse. Taj Mahal Restaurant, 148-01 Hillside Ave.
• Laurelton – 6 p.m. – City Councilman Donovan Richards issues his annual State of the District address. PS 156, 229-02 137th Ave.
• Forest Hills – 6 p.m. – Learn beginners Chinese with Lin San . North Forest Park Library. 98-27 Metropolitan Ave.
• Woodhaven – 7 p.m. – Woodhaven Residents’ Block Association Town Hall. American Legion Hall, 89-02 91st St.
• Maspeth – 7 p.m. – Maspeth West End Block Association Meeting. Trinity St. Andrews Church, 60th St. between 60th Ave. & 60th Rd.